The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy®ATMAT
Why choose Arvigo® Therapy?
Arvigo® Therapy can help ease a number of conditions. The treatment focuses on the abdomen, pelvis, lower back and sacral areas, which in turn works over many of the body’s essential organs. Abdominal massage is a way of gently manipulating these organs to encourage better ‘flow’ within them. Arvigo
The five flows are:
- Arterial blood flow. The flow of healthy blood, nutrients and hormones around the body.
- Venous blood flow. The flow of the removal of CO2 and waste products.
- Lymphatic flow. The flow that defends our bodies from bacteria and viruses.
- Nerve impulses. The flow that carries electrical and chemical signals to each organ, cell, muscle and ligament.
- Energy flow. Chu’lel, the flow of vital life force energy that flows through our body. Also known as Chi or Qi.
Massage is an effective way to encourage circulation, relieve tension and promote self healing in the body. ArvigoTherapy works over everything from the diaphragm to the pubic bone. It improves the five flows to the lungs, heart, intestines, stomach, gall bladder, liver, kidneys, reproductive organs, bladder and colon. The lower back and sacral work improves the five flows in the sacral area, coccyx, hips and legs. In turn, this can have a profound effect on health and wellbeing. The nature of the treatment means it’s a real whole body experience. With improved flow to all these major organs, the whole body begins to perform better.
With the skills you learn in the first session, you’ll be able to massage your own abdomen and give yourself mini-treatments in between sessions. For some lucky people, one professional session and good self care could be all they need, for others with more complicated or long standing problems, a course of treatments would be recommended.
I specialise in supporting women through all stages of the menstrual cycle, including fertility problems, pregnancy and post natal. I also offer advice and support to men and people of all genders who may be experiencing abdominal and pelvic health challenges.
Don Elijio Panti 1893-1996
“The last Mayan Master Healer in Belize”
The uterus is the women’s centre.
If her uterus is not in proper position and good health, nothing in her life will be right.
She will be as out of balance as her uterus.
Arvigo Therapy Fees
Please allow 2.5-3 hours for first treatment or extended follow up session.
All sessions include time for consultation/feedback/review.
£100 - Full consultation, Self Care training and 60 min treatment.
£75 - Follow up session. 60 min treatment and review.
£100 - Extended follow up session. 60 min treatment and review.
I offer a limited amount of 'Pay What You Can' treatments to people on a low income. I am also open to barter and exchange ideas. Please contact me if you feel you'd like to explore these options.
What is Arvigo® Therapy?
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® (ATMAT) offers you a unique service.
Unlike other therapies, Arvigo® Therapy, literally puts your healing in your own hands.
During your first session you’ll learn the unique self care massage techniques. By learning how to massage your own abdomen you’ll deepen the connection between you and your body, bringing relaxation and encouraging flow.
This self care massage enhances the treatment you receive and gives you the tools to continue treating yourself in between sessions.
I work mainly with women who are experiencing ongoing difficulties with their menstrual cycles, painful periods, irregular bleeding, PMS, PMDD, endometriosis and the menopause. This work is not exclusive to those who have a uterus! Men and women without a uterus can still benefit greatly from abdominal massage and a self care routine.
Arvigo® Therapy is also an excellent path for those experiencing fertility problems and difficulty in conceiving.
Arvigo® Therapy is founded on ancient Maya techniques of non-invasive, external abdominal massage.
It stimulates circulation and blood flow within the abdominal area, supporting the body for optimal function of digestive and fertile health and wellness. It is a therapy that can be applied throughout every stage of a woman, man or childs life.
Arvigo® Therapy incorporates a holistic approach to health and wellbeing. Only by treating the whole person on a physical, emotional and energetic level can true healing take place.
I will work with you to address your specific needs and may suggest a course of treatments. Typically, 2 or 3 professional sessions are required to address most conditions. Some conditions will require further attention over a longer period of time.
Self Care massage at home is a vital aspect of the overall treatment. You will receive the self-care massage techniques during your initial session.
What to expect during a session
- Comprehensive review of your past and present healthcare needs focusing on reproductive and digestive health.
- Upper and lower abdominal massage to help improve circulation to abdominal organs.
- Massage to back, sacrum and hips to further stimulate circulation to the organs of the abdomen.
- Evaluation of body posture.
- Instruction in Self Care massage which is done at home and helps to enhance your professional session.
- Recommendations of complimentary modalities to support your health and wellness that may include:
- The wearing of a Faja – a traditional lower abdomen supportive wrap.
- Bajos – a traditional herbal pelvic steam bath of the Maya
- The application of Castor oil packs
- Lifestyle education.
Important things you need to know.
If you are female, it helps if you know the date of the first day of your last period. The most optimum time for a treatment is between day 7 and 10. Day 1 is the day you start bleeding. Please avoid coming for Arvigo® Therapy during your period (your womb has enough to do already!).
As a Complementary Health Practitioner, I am deeply interested in your whole lifestyle. You will be required to fill in an extensive consultation form prior to treatment. This allows me to have a broad overview of your situation. Many people often find that compiling all symptoms, past and present, and looking at the overview can be very helpful and revealing of underlying problems. Your consultation forms will be kept confidential, as will any notes or records I keep of our sessions. If you decide to come for a consultation with me, I will either post you a paper copy for you to fill in prior to treatment, or send you a PDF that you can print at home. Please make sure you have filled in as much of the form as you can before you come to your first session. This will save valuable time and ensure you have enough time in your session for a full treatment.
As an Arvigo® Therapy Practitioner, and a member of MAIA (Maya Arvigo International Association) I am part of a much larger worldwide network of therapists. As a collective we have a wealth of experience with all things abdominal. If your health problem is unexplained or proving difficult to treat, I can access the brilliant minds of hundreds of other therapists who may have come across similar things before (with your permission of course!) .
Contraindications to Arvigo® Therapy
For some people with complicated conditions, Arvigo® Therapy may be may not be suitable. In most cases I can personalise your treatment to your needs. If you are in any doubt about whether Arvigo® Therapy is suitable for you, please contact me to discuss your options.
- IUD present – intrauterine device (coil, any type).
- During the first trimester of Pregnancy.
- Cancer present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis.
- Currently undergoing chemotherapy.
- Acute infections in abdomen or pelvis.
- Acute illness, fever or flu.
- Abdominal anurysm.
- Five days prior to period and during menstruation.
- Six weeks after a vaginal birth, three months after a cesarean birth.
- Diastisis Recti. The result of separation of abdominal muscles during pregnancy.
- Hernia repair surgery using mesh.
- Pelvic floor surgery, prolapse surgery, using mesh.
- Pessaries for prolapse.
- Six to eight weeks post surgery.
- Hiatal Hernia.
- If pain and discomfort doesn’t improve after 6 sessions with home self-care practice.
If you’d like more information about any of the services I offer, please use the contact form.
My working hours are Mon-Fri 9.30-4pm and occasional Saturdays for those who can’t make a weekday appointment.
Once we have made contact via email, I’d be happy to call you to discuss your situation.